Drama - Pity The Pool


Pity the Fool by D. M. Larson from freedrama.net (cast: 2m 2w)
A man, JEORGE, hangs on the wall as a part of a modern art piece.  People walk through the gallery and look at the odd pieces of modern art.  A couple of woman, SAGE and MARY stop at the man.
SAGE          : What's this?
MARY          :It's called "Pity the Fool."
SAGE           :It's amazing.  The man looks so lifelike.
Mary            :It's like he could walk right out of the painting and talk to us.
Suddenly Jeorge's eyes pop open and the women are startled.
JEORGE      :Do you have any water?
His eyes close again.  Sage and Mary look at each other and then the painting again.
SAGE           :You heard that right?
MARY           :Yeah.
JEORGE      :Water.
SAGE           :I'll get some water.
Sage leaves.  Mary wants to follow and doesn't want to be left alone.
JEORGE      :Wait.  Please.
Mary reluctantly stops.  She looks around but is alone.  She cautiously returns.
MARY           :What?  Uh... who?  I mean...
JEORGE      :Why am I here?
MARY          :Sure... let's ask that question.
JEORGE      :This is my self portrait.
MARY           :Pity the fool?
JEORGE      :Yes.
MARY           :Well... it's working.  I feel sorry for you.
JEORGE      : Everyone does.
MARY           :Oh...
Mary looks around nervously hoping Sage will return.  Jeorge climbs down off the background and sits at the edge of the art looking very hurt and sad. Sage returns with some bottled water.
SAGE           :Found some water.
Jeorge takes it from her and gives a weak smile.
JEORGE      :Thank you.
Jeorge drinks and lets the water refresh him.  Mary and Sage look at each other and then at Jeorge nervously.
MARY           :So uh... this is a self-portrait.
SAGE           :You're the artist?
JEORGE      :Yes.
SAGE           :I have to say I've never seen anything like this.
JEORGE      :It's a variation on the living statue idea. 
MARY           :So not original?
JEORGE      :Not really.
They are all quiet a moment.
SAGe           :Well, I've never seen anything like it.
JEORGE      :Then you haven't been out much.
SAGE           :What?  Look, we're trying to be nice.
JEORGE      :Because you pity me.
MARY           :That's what you want isn't it?
JEORGE      :How do you know what I want?!
Sage and Mary start to back away. Jeorge curls up at the bottom of his art.
SAGE           :Look. I think you're a little too much of a method artist. 
Jeorge is starting to cry.
MARY           :Is he crying?
SAGE           :Let's get out of here before he totally flips out.
MARY           :But he's so sad.
SAGE           :It's some twisted performance art I think. 
Mary            :You have to admit.  It's pretty original.
SAGE           :Just because it is different, doesn't mean it's good.
Jeorge looks up sadly at Sage.
JEORGE      :You... you don't think it's good?
SAGe           :Let's go.
Sage tries to go but Mary doesn't leave.
MARY           :I think it's one of the most interesting things I've ever seen.
JEORGE      :You're just saying that to be nice.  You don't really feel that way.
MARY           :I do.  Really.  Art is always so bland and two dimensional.  Your work is so... alive... literally.
Jeorge gives Sage a pouty look.
JEORGE      :She hates it though.
Sage gives him a dirty look and Jeorge gets sad and collapses in to his art.
MARY           :Say something nice to him.
SAGE           :What? No.
MARY           :Do it.
Sage reluctantly goes up to Jeorge.  Mary pushes her closer and Sage slaps her hand away.  Sage is next to him.
SAGE           :Okay, I have to admit.  This is the most unusual... (Mary pokes her) ...different... most creative piece of art here tonight.
Jeorge        :Thank you.( Jeorge says weakly)
Sage turns to Mary and pulls her away.
SAGE           :Can we go now?
MARY           :You go.  I'll catch up in a minute.
SAGE           :Whatever.
Sage leaves.  Mary goes up to Jeorge and kneels down next to him.
MARY           :What happened to you that inspired this?
Jeorge sits up slowly and looks up at his background.
JEORGE      :It's a long story.  Everything you see here represents something that's happen in my life that has brought me to this point.
MARY           :The images are stunning.  I've never seen a work of art with so much story to it.  I could probably sit here for hours trying to figure it all out.
JEORGE      :Stay then.
MARY           :I have to go... how long will you be... on display?
JEORGE      :This is the last night.  I'll hopefully be showing this in other galleries though.
Mary gives him a business card.
MARY           :I would like to see you... and your work again. Here's my number.  Call me when you're showing this again. 
JEORGE      :I will.
MARY           :I better go.  Great work on this.  It's very moving.
Jeorge gives a weak smile and waves good-bye as Mary leaves.  He climbs back up in to his original position.  Frank enters and goes up to Jeorge.
FRANK        :You got another number didn't you?
JEORGE      :Yup.
FRANK        :There has to be an easier way to pick up women.
JEORGE      :What can I say.  I'm a fool.
FRANK        :Ain't that the truth.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

CONTOH PARAGRAF DESKRIPSI, EKSPOSISI, ARGUMENTASI, NARASI, DAN PERSUASI

Proses terbentuknya Iman

Short Story-Let's Speaking English